Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hair & Now


I was driving to work this morning, listening to a popular radio talk show that was discussing celebrity break-ups. One of the host began to comment on a rumored split between rapper Kanye West and model/stripper Amber Rose.


He was of the opinion that Kanye need not be with Amber anyway because she resembled a boy (with her brush cut hairstyle). The female host felt that Amber's beauty and style complimented her lack of hair and stated that she was still feminine although she did not have much hair.

Listening to the conversation between the two host allowed me to reflect back to societies twisted depiction of "gender" norms. Does a certain hairstyle, or choice of clothing define who you are? How do you express you're individuality without conforming to societies ideals of "gender"? In your opinion, what actions/behaviors cause gender conflict for both men & women?

4 comments:

  1. You know, it's funny. When I opened your blog I saw that picture of these two gorgeous people. And then I read what you wrote about people saying she looked too much like a boy. She is absolutely beautiful and it never occurred to me that she was too masculine for a hetero man. That's absurd. I loved your thoughtful quesions at the end, something I'll definitely think about.

    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. COMMENTS FROM ROBYN'S POST 5/20/09


    tlassiter said...
    I'd like to believe that we're all on the same page. I've never blogged before and I'm not even sure if I set up my account correctly. Where is the professor's "Eureka" moment that I thought we were suppose to comment on ?!?
    I'm a little confused about how this is suppose to work.. maybe I'll shoot her an e-mail (that I know how to do). Lol~

    May 20, 2009 8:22 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. COMMENT FROM NIK B BLOG SITE 5/22/09


    Teandra said...
    Hi Nik,
    I work full-time @ Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (New Brunswick) as the Data Manager of Cardiovascular Services,am a full-time wife & mother and a part-time CCS Liberal Studies major (Senior Year). This is my 4th on-line class but my first time managing my own blog. I think this class is pretty interesting. Enjoy! Teandra~

    May 22, 2009 8:37 PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. COMMENTS FROM TONYA'S BLOG SITE 5/22


    Teandra said...

    Hi Tonya,
    So envious of you right now! :)
    I'd have to agree with Nicole on this one...women do prim themselves to appeal to the opposite sex but ultimately I think we do it for self gratification first. Not sure how comfortable I'd be in my own skin if I'd just let my body hair grow everywhere (summer, winter, spring or fall) or walked around looking unkept.
    Keep up your investigative work while on vacation and continue to report any new findings. Enjoy!

    May 22, 2009 8:49 PM

    ReplyDelete